Making sure the slide is a joy ride takes some caregiver preparedness. Some slides are meant for older and physically advanced children. Preschool-aged children should only use slides that are straight, or they may use spiral slides if they have only one turn of 360 degrees or less, since a child in this age group has limited ability to maintain balance or postural control. (Learn more about safe climbing at the playground.)
For extra safety, teach your child to follow these rules before using a slide:
- Hold onto the ladder with both hands as you climb up the steps of the slide. (Stay behind your child if necessary.)
- Never climb up two steps at a time.
- Don't climb up the front of the slide.
- Slide down sitting up with your feet first.
- Never slide head first.
- No sliding on your stomach.
- No kneeling to slide.
- Only one child should slide down at a time.