Recalled products, originally available at Meijer stores, were then sold at discount retailers, dollar stores, liquidation firms, flea markets and thrift stores nationwide, the U.S. Consumer Safety Commission reports.
It's illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product. The recalling companies listed below complied with the original recall. You should stop using these products and contact the company listed for each original recall.
At least one of the recalled products being resold poses a very serious safety hazard to infants. In 2010, the CPSC investigated a fatality (the fourth) associated with the Infantino sling. We had previously brought our safety concerns about the sling to the CPSC after learning of two infant deaths associated with its use.
The eight recalled products being resold include:
- 360,000 Innovage Discovery Kids Animated Marine and Safari Lamps: A defect in the lamp's circuit board can cause an electrical short, posing a fire and burn hazard (Black lamps not included in recall). Recalled Feb. 9, 2010. For more call Innovage at 888-232-1535 or visit lamprecall.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 million Infantino SlingRider Baby Slings: The slings pose a suffocation hazard to infants younger than four months old. Recalled March 24, 2010. For more call Infantino at 866-860-1361 or visit infantino.com.
- 108,000 Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaners with Cord Rewind: The power cord is not properly routed or securely seated in the cord rewind assembly allowing the power cord to be pulled loose, posing a fire and shock hazard. Recalled May 27, 2010. For more call Hoover at 888-891-2054 or visit hoover.com/tseriesrewindrecall.
- 2.9 million Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Kick & Crawl Aquarium (H8094): The valve of the inflatable ball can come off, posing a choking hazard. Recalled Sept. 30, 2010. For more call Fisher-Price at 80032-5437 or visit service.mattel.com.
- 120,000 Fisher-Price Little People Wheelies Stand 'n Play Rampway: The wheels on the purple and the green cars can come off, posing a choking hazard to young children. Recalled Sept. 30, 2010. For more call Fisher-Price at 800-432-5437 or visit service.mattel.com.
- 7.2 million Fisher-Price Barbie Tough Trikes model M5727 and Kawasaki Tough Trikes model N6021: A child can strike, sit or fall on the protruding plastic ignition key causing injury. Recalled Sept. 30, 2010. For more call Fisher-Price at 800-432-5437 or visit service.mattel.com.
- 34,000 Munchkin Bathtub Subs: The intake valve on the bottom of the toy can suck up loose skin, posing laceration hazard. Recalled Oct. 18, 2010. For more call Munchkin at 877-242-3134 or visit munchkin.com.
- 37,000 Sassy Refreshing Rings Infant Teethers/Rattles: Small pieces of the plastic ball can detach as a result of children chewing on the teether/rattle, posing an ingestion hazard. Recalled Jan. 31, 2011. For more call Sassy at 800-323-6336 or visit sassybaby.com.
Photos of each recalled item are available here.